Baked Sweet Potato Frittata
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35-40 minutes
This recipe can also be prepared from start to finish in a large, well-seasoned cast iron skillet. However, an enameled cast iron baking dish, such as the Le Creuset® version shown here, makes for a nice presentation for a traditional Sunday brunch.
Non-stick cooking spray
2 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
½ medium red onion, diced
½ t. garlic powder
1 t. dried basil
1 t. dried parsley
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
6 large eggs
3 T. half & half
1 c. gouda cheese, shredded, divided
2 c. fresh arugula or spinach
Optional: Fresh parsley and basil, to serve
- Position top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 350°F. Spray a medium-sized baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sweet potato, red pepper, onion, garlic powder, basil, and parsley. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the pepper and onion soften and the sweet potato starts to develop a bit of color, approximately 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to the prepared baking dish. Spread into a uniform layer and set aside.
- While the vegetables cook, whisk together the eggs and half & half in a large bowl. Add half the Gouda cheese and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the same skillet over medium heat and toss in the arugula or spinach. Cook, stirring occasionally, just until the greens wilt, approximately 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and spread evenly on top of the other vegetables in the baking dish.
- Pour the egg mixture on top and spread with a rubber spatula, if necessary, to cover the entire surface. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired.
- Place in pre-heated oven and bake until the egg is set and the top starts to turn golden brown, approximately 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly before slicing. Garnish with fresh herbs, if using, and serve immediately. Enjoy!